How to Create Your Own Cacao Ceremony
You know how amazingly delicious and 'this is my God given right to eat this' chocolate is? Well imagine it without milk, sugar and other preservatives dumped in and you have cacao (raw chocolate). And then imagine buying cacao that has retained its chemical properties lost when produced for everyday use and you have ceremonial cacao. Cacao's scientific name translates to "Food for the Gods" and considering I'm a Goddess myself then this is totally my cup of....cacao.
Apart from being a superfood with a wealth of health properties, cacao is a powerful plant that has been used for thousands of years in many cultures for medicinal purposes and her spiritual and energetic properties. If Mama Earth ever invited me over for a cuppa to talk about life I imagine she'd pour me a mug of cacao.
I have been curious about attending a cacao ceremony for so long but given that I live in a remote area it was difficult to find one that was being hosted. So I thought 'fuck it, I'll do my own ceremony'. In my practice my ceremony involves creating a cool little space I can sit in, making a cup of cacao and then allowing the ceremony to unfold naturally. A cacao ceremony is a heart OPENER and helps to form a deep connection to yourself, your soul, your guides, mother earth, nature or Source/God/Universe.
Here's the DL on how to prep your own personal cacao ceremony at home.
Your Personal Ceremony
The first and most important thing to remember is that a personal ceremony is well very personal...don't be shy to get creative with how you want it to unfold and be OK with it not looking the same every time.
1. Setup your chill zone
Setup a small area, keep it simple...it could be on a yoga mat, outdoors or in a quiet corner of your home. The where is not as important as the purpose of it; a space established for the purpose of tuning in and where you feel safe and free to do whatever weird and magical things flow to you in the moment.
I have a space permanently setup in my room for occasions such as this, so I don't have to prep my space every time that inclination to flow or create hits me.
Next, increase the good vibes of your space by setting up anything you think you may want to utilise during your ceremony. Mine changes from time to time but usually you'll see my favourite crystals, my journal and pen, some essential oils and of course my cacao scattered around me.
2. How to make your Cacao
- I have a pretty spesh mug (like a ceremonial mug) and I feel like drinking out of it is a special event. Feel free to take pleasure in finding the perfect mug just for you (check out Pitch Pine Pottery on Etsy for some mug-spo)
- Fill your mug until it is 3/4 fill with hot water
- Add 4 tbsp of Ceremonial Cacao (drinking chocolate)...I use KAKAO Ceremonial Drinking Chocolate
- Add optional extras; I use 1 Tbsp of coconut oil but other options are;
- Cream; Ghee, Coconut Cream
- Spices; Tumeric, Cinnamon, Cayenne or Chilli, Maca, Cardamon, Ginger, Vanilla
- Sweet; Maple, Honey, Coconut Sugar, Agave
- Blend to avoid separation
3. Set your Intentions
The beginning of a ceremony is the perfect time to step away from the business of your day and life and slow down, check in, and gain clarity on your intention for taking this time for yourself. Setting intentions is a nice way to start your ceremony and a good practice in general. It adds a little extra intention to the action you are about to take (i.e. you can cross that road, but you set the intention to cross it quickly or safely...you're still taking the action, but there's a more purposeful energy behind it).
If you're not sure how to set an intention then simply start by asking yourself "Why am I sitting here today?".
Or examples of intentions you could set are;
- My intention is to tap into my creativity
- My intention is to connect with my intuition / Soul
- My intention is tune into how I am feeling right now
- My intention is to gain clarity on what to do next
- My intention is to reconnect with myself
- My intention is to feel more grounded
- My intention is to feel more uplifted
- My intention is to release myself from ex. pain, suffering, business, worry, stress
3. Connect with Cacao
As you sip your Cacao allow it's energy or spirit to flow through you. Allow the cacao to unwind your fears, stresses and worries. Release your expectations you place on yourself and others. Feel your heart open as your energy starts to shift. Feel all parts of yourself coming together; the different roles you play; mother, wife, partner, friend, co-worker, boss, everything that makes you human merging with your innate truth and the inner wisdom of your soul as well as being part of the infinite collective energy surrounding you; nature, source.
If this feels too woo-woo for you, just have an appreciation for what this moment with cacao is bringing you and allow yourself to really recognise how you are feeling in this moment.
4. Let your Ceremony Flow
The effects of the cacao might be immediate or it could take up to 20 minutes before you start feeling a buzz within your body, in my experience, I usually being to feel connected, inspired and focused immediately.
When you are ready let your ceremony flow. This could be during or after your cacao. Some things that flow really well with your ceremony are;
- Pranayama / breathwork
- Soul journaling or channelling
- Tarot or oracle cards
- Energy cleansing with sage or palo santo
- Letting your creative juices flow; do some art, brainstorm for your bizzo or download those inspired ideas and thoughts into your journal.
There is no right or wrong way to do this, just whatever feels natural and fun for you in the moment. It could be 20 minutes or it could be hours long. Your cacao ceremony will only get better and easier with more practice and will evolve over time depending on what is feeling most fun for you. Just enjoy it for the experience it is with an open mind and open heart.